Friday, January 20, 2012

Chi Chi Chi Chilly Chi-Town!

I suppose this blog could be a day to day and hour to hour account of what I did. I suppose I could tell you all the touristy things I saw. I suppose...if you are reading this...you have already checked out facebook and saw the insane amount of status reports I made. Picture overload I'd say...but hey...that's the beauty of facebook. I stream live 24/7 hahah. I don't need to bore you with all the details because I already did. I'll give you some summaries but I will bore you with the details of the bachelor party though but only because it has a point...LOL.

When I got to baggage claim...Kevin sneaks up behind me and starts talking. I immediately gave him the biggest hug. Then I looked at his face. It's not that he looks "old" its just that he looks older. More grown up. A little bit more peace in his face. He knows what he wants and loves what he has. If you ask me...Kevin looks great!

After we picked up Brian, settled into the hotel, ate some lunch...it was time to start getting ready for the bachelor party. I was ready before Farmey so I walked down the hall because all the boys were in the room pre gaming. I hadn't seen Ivan since my mom's memorial which was almost 7 years ago. He hasn't changed at all. Maybe he's a bit more buff and has a few wrinkles around his eyes...hahaha

He tried to offer me a swig of his Sam Adams champagne beer. I tasted it...gross. Ivan seems to like it. We all headed down to the hotel bar and pre gamed some more. Once that was over we headed out into the cold (take your first breath away cold!!!) to walk a few blocks to the Brazilian BBQ. Note to all the ladies out there: walking in heels in the snow SUCKS. Seriously...the guys were hauling ass and I was just worried about mine falling on to the concrete.



After dinner it was LIMO time. We got into the limo and Ivan wants to go to the bar where Maddie and he had first met. Since I'm not completely a dude of course I let out an "awwwwww!". What a cute thing to do Ivan Brown...except the bar is CLOSED. We go across the street to the other bar...nobody is in there. We are beginning to think that nobody is out anywhere (Kevin was straight up tripping because he was worried it wasn't going to be a good night). We have a couple of rounds there and make our way to a pub.



The pub had a little more people in it (I'm sure those quiet drinkers were thrilled we showed up!). Billy bought Irish Car Bombs and that was the beginning of the end for Ivan. Alex was NOT going to drink one of those so Ivan got two. Next thing we know Ivan starts bumbling around...the bartender was asking me if any of the drinks I ordered were for him because she sure as hell wasn't going to serve him. I promised her I only gave him water. He spews....comes back....we sit around....then...he gets up and I glance over and just before he makes it to the bathroom door he lets out a mini explosion. Good going Brewski!

So there I was with Billy cleaning up chunks of Brazilian BBQ off the floor...and we get word that we are heading out. Yep. Kevin...it was a success. Ivan was done!

So we get back to the hotel and we tuck Ivan into bed. Ivan has this dumbass look on his face as every one is fussing over him. I got shoe patrol. I tried to take his shoe off with out undoing the laces because I figured it would be faster. He of course notices this and his drunk ass tries to tell me to loosen the laces. I just looked at him (probably how I've looked at him every time that kid has annoyed me) and told him to "shut up dude...I GOT IT!". It made me feel like I was in high school for a split second.

Brian stayed behind to tend to the drunk and the rest of us wanted to get more drinks...we obviously had paced ourselves. So we walk out of the hotel and go down the street to a bar. THAT PLACE WAS BUMPING. The last bar we go to and its the fullest...oh...the irony.

9ish AM the next day: *telephone rings* "Hey you up?" "NO!" "You want to go to breakfast with us?" "Are you guys all up and ready now?" "Yes" "NO" "hahah ok."

The boys get back from breakfast and knock on my door. All I remember is feeling like a bread truck hit me. I wasn't hung over. Just insanely tired. I didn't nap at all on Thursday and only got 3 hours of sleep...I did a 4 hour flight to Chicago...and kept on going all the way until past 2 am. I'm not 21 any more...my body hated me. LOL. They gave me an hour to get ready.

We took a cab to Millenium Park to see the bean. Did the photo ops and all the good stuff. Then we walked to the Field Museum. Yes...we walked a thousand miles. Every one was numb in places they didn't know they could be numb in. We walked around The Field Museum for a bit then left to head towards Sears (I guess its Willis now) Tower. Another thousand miles later and we were at Giordanos. It was fun to sit down...wait for a pie...and watch the men be boys some more. I'm convinced that they will never out grow the boy and I love that about them. If it wasn't Ivan sticking cheese up his nose...it was Ivan eating popcorn with a knife and fork. Actually....maybe Ivan never grows up....LOL.




We all had to make our way back to the hotel. I stayed in for the night with my honey. We zoned out. Watched T.V. and found some place to eat. I got mad shit for missing the hockey game. But I didn't care. Bed is where I wanted to be. (Again with the old lady schiz!)

Saturday we had breakfast. Went to the Navy Pier and went up the bajillion floors to the top of the Sears Tower. They have those clear boxes  hanging off the side. The boys were all about it. They just walked right in there and took pictures...sat there....didn't seem to phase them that you could see the whole damn Earth below you! I couldn't step on it. It freaked me out way too much. So the first round of pictures I'm freaking out and just putting my hands on the glass. I finally sat on it and scooted out to Alex so we could take a picture together. I had no idea I would be THAT freaked out.





Kevin had to go to the rehersal dinner. We just stayed back and were lazy for a bit. Once he was done we went back to the bar that was bumping Bachelor party night. Had a few drinks then went to sleep.

Sunday! What a gorgeous day. Seriously. The sun came out a bit. There was snow every where. The church was beautiful. The bride is seriously one of the most GORGEOUS brides I've ever seen. Kevin and Ivan looked so handsome. Brian and Alex looked snazzy. I had on pearls and a brand new dress. There wasn't a person in that church that wasn't looking sharp.





After the ceremony I got the nicest hug from Ivans mom. She didn't recognize me at first. That hug felt like the kind of hug my mom would give to me. I've always loved that lady. I missed her.

PARTY TIME. Ok....this wedding is probably the best wedding I have ever been to. The country club was absolutely gorgeous. Wine was flowing. Appetizers a plenty. Every one was so happy. It was seriously an amazing celebration. I cried at Maddie's dad's speech. It was such a sweet moment between the two of them. I thankfully didn't cry at Kevin's speech. I thought I would but I didn't. When Ivan and Maddie danced...you couldn't help but see two people absolutely perfect for each other. He loves her so much and you can see it every time he looks at her. She looks at him the same way. It's magic to see two people like that.



After dinner (which was really good by the way) the dancing went off the hook. Man...every one was cutting a rug. It was awesome. The DJ played a ton of great songs. The whole day was just pure awesome. I loved seeing faces I hadn't seen in a long time.



What I learned from my visit to Chicago:

*I've always been considered a dude to those two boys (now men) up there. It felt good to know that after everything and how long we have all been apart...that it will ALWAYS feel the same. We were able to pick right back up from the last time we were all together and have a great time. Being called a dude was an ultimate compliment for me. I like not being fully a chick.

*I am glad I didn't go to my high schoool reunion. All the people I wanted to see were in Chicago and we partied it up. I'm glad I used the hundred bucks it was supposed to cost me to go to a reunion here...I used it there...and then some. It was awesome and wouldn't have changed it for the world.

*I learned that no matter how much Alex bitches he will ultimately have a good time and understand why I make him do the things that I make him do. I like putting a bit of a travel bug in my husband.

* I learned what truly cold was like. I mean. It was truly cold. I came back here and the new phrase is "It's cold...but it's not Chicago cold."

No comments:

Post a Comment