Tuesday, January 3, 2012

You can drive on the other side but you can't zip a zipper up on the other side?

My husband is super English. I mean...super English. He does not...by any means want to do anything that is "American". I started to notice this when I would go to give a high five. He always left me hanging.

One of the first times I cooked for him....garlic was something unheard of. I mean...I know he liked garlic sausage pizzas at home but when I was cooking he looked at me and went...."you're going to put that much garlic in?" I PUT GARLIC IN EVERY THING. He of course ate it....and loved it. They definitely have garlic all over the world but none of his dinners ever included it. He would eat meat and veg and potatoes every night covered in gravy. When Farmey is used to something...he's used to it. He now eats garlic mashed potatoes and other things filled with garlic.

Cheesecake. You are on acid if you don't like cheesecake right? He refused to eat cheesecake.  He wouldn't even try it! He is not a huge fan of the cheese. In his mind...he would rather have ANY thing besides a cake made of cheese. He will eat cheese on a burger...cheese on a pizza....but that's pretty much where he draws the line. Well, one night we are at our Chinese food place and they didn't have Thai Tea. The server felt bad so she decided to bring us a free dessert. There was a chocolate cheesecake square and a plain cheesecake square. Alex is allergic to chocolate so I scored the chocolate one. Alex picks up the plain one and pops it in his mouth. I didn't tell him it was a cheesecake square until he said mmmmm. I wasn't going to warn him. It was the perfect opportunity to get him to try it.

Gym shorts. For the longest time I could not buy him any new pairs of shorts. The reason....ALL THE SHORTS HAD POCKETS. The gym shorts he had from England didn't have pockets and that's what he wanted...shorts exactly like the ones he bought in England. For most people, like me, this would be a bonus. Who doesn't love pockets? He refused and refused and refused. I told him...they are all going to have effing pockets. Finally...one day....he caved. He bought the shorts with pockets and now he loves having pockets to stash all his shit. I love that he has pockets too. That means I'm not carrying around his inhaler any more.

Zippers....this is the new quirk I found out. Apparently the zippers in England are different for womens and mens. I guess all the zippers here are on the girls side instead of the boys side and Al doesn't like that. He will see hoodie (or a jumper if your English and reading this) and thinks he likes it...until he tries it on....until he goes to zip it up...then he hangs the thing back up. This has been the case on more than a few instances. The last instance was in Old Navy. I can't wrap my head around it. He tells me it would REALLY bother him to zip it up on that side. I can't see the difference in just zipping from the other side AT ALL. He tells me, "Well if you've grown up with something your whole life..." I proceeded to tell him that he drives on the other side of the road here...why can't he zip up a zipper on the other side? He dropped every thing he knew to be with me and to move here...how is that little bitty zipper on the wrong side a problem?

It's things like this that make him Alex. I love every inch of him....even when I think his cheese has completely slid off his cracker.

No comments:

Post a Comment